Posted by : Lekhraj Joshi Thursday, 30 May 2013
This is one of the famous Thai soups made from shrimps and peanuts and is one of the spiciest soups.
Recipe for Tom Yum Goong
(1) Shrimp- 700 grams
(2) Water- 10 cups
(3) Galangal (chopped) - ½ cup
(4) Kaffir lime leaves- 6
(5) Canned straw mushrooms- ½ cup
(6) Roasted red chilli paste- 2 tablespoons
(7) Fish sauce- 1 tablespoon
(8) Chillies- 2
(9) Chopped green onions- ½ cup
(10) Chopped fresh cilantro- ½ cup
(11) Fresh lime juice- 1 tablespoon
(12) Chopped dry-roasted unsalted peanuts- 6 tablespoons
(1) Peel and devein shrimp, reserving shells. Combine shrimp shells and 6 cups water in an oven; bring to a simmer.
(2) Cook for 1 hour, strain broth through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Combine broth and remaining 3 1/2 cups water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil.
(3) Add galangal, lemongrass, and kaffir lime leaves to pan; simmer 10 minutes. Strain broth mixture through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids.
(4) Return broth mixture to pan. Add mushrooms, chilli paste, fish sauce, and chillies; bring to a boil. Stir in shrimp, green onions, and cilantro; cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done.
(5) Discard chillies. Stir in fresh lime juice, lift out 2 cups soup from spoon into each of 4 bowls; sprinkle evenly with peanuts.
Your Soup is ready!